So, you have a website. You have chosen an exclusive domain name, created a fantastic design, and wrote much content. But despite all these efforts, your analytics still shows a flat line. It’s disappointing, isn’t it? Well, it’s time to change that. In this article, I will show you 14 simple steps. Everything has been tried and tested first hand!
Table of Contents
· Different Types of Traffic
· 1. SEO Optimization
· 2. Email Marketing Campaigns
· 3. Social Networks
· 4. Write Qualitative Content
· 5. Optimize the Site for Mobile Devices
· 6. Audit of Outdated Content
· 7. Implementation of the Partner Program
· 8. Internal Linking
· 9. Use CDN to Improve Website Speed
· 10. Facebook Ads
· 11. Create a YouTube Channel
· 12. Advertising on Instagram
· 13. Collaboration with Leaders of Opinions
· BONUS The Easiest Way Ever: With Automated Software (Setup-and-forget)
Different Types of Traffic
First of all, you need to know what types of traffic are there to visualize the steps to be taken.
There are two main types of traffic that you need to distinguish between — organic and paid traffic.
The term “organic traffic” refers to visitors from search engines such as Google or Bing.
The statistics have proved that 51 percent of all website traffic is organic. This number makes a lot of website owners who are trying to achieve maximum SEO optimization sweat. After all, who will not like the free and profitable method?
But organic traffic is a long-term investment. To make a site take place on the first page of search results, you need to win the tough competition. Do not expect to see significant results in the first few months, primarily if you work in a highly competitive niche.
If you want to see the results immediately, aim for paid traffic. You can set up everything for this within a few minutes and receive traffic on the same day.
Tons of advertising services offer different targeting options. You can choose who will see your ads, depending on location, age, gender, and other criteria.
No matter how good it sounds to have instant results, be prepared to spend a lot of money on paid ads. Advertising costs can make a hole in your budget, especially if you choose a niche with great competition.
1. SEO Optimization
Optimizing your website for SEO means improving it for search engines and visitors.
When used properly, SEO can help your business take the first position on the search engine results page (SERP) and attract traffic.
You can start optimizing your website by researching keywords for your content. You will find out how many people are looking for a keyword and how high its competition is.
In this way, you can determine which keywords can get high ratings in search engines.
There are many tools for keyword search. The most popular of them is Google Keyword Planner. You can find keyword options or view historical metrics (monthly average search, competition, etc.).
Once you decide which keywords to use, you can start optimizing your site. The optimization process can be divided into two categories:
- SEO off-site refers to everything you can do to promote your web resources, such as link building, social media marketing, social bookmarking, and many others
- Internal SEO is the process of optimizing the different parts of your website, including the content of
When creating content for the site, first of all, focus on the internal SEO page. After all, your site must be flawless before you start advertising it, right? Here are a few things you can do to improve your SEO pages:
- Meta header: create a catchy title with your keywords. It should contain about 70 characters at most.
- business.facebook.com: A brief description of a web page displayed in a search engine output. Like the meta header, it should contain the main keywords so that search engines and people can understand what the page is about.
- Title tags. Break down the content into easy to read pieces using title tags (from H1 to H6).
- Alternative text for images (Alt) is used to describe images on the Internet. This helps search engine robots understand images. Screen readers also use this text to describe images for the blind.
2. Email Marketing Campaigns
Although SEO and a great way to show your site’s potential to customers, you need to make sure that they will come to it more than once. Interact with visitors by sending regular newsletters and promotions via email.
Keeping in touch with existing visitors helps not to forget about you and encourages you to revisit your site. As regular coffee shop customers, in the end, they will have a sense of loyalty to your site. This is a fantastic way to attract traffic to your site.
But remember, there is no need to terrorize your subscribers with too many emails. Send them a letter containing a summary of your site’s news every one or two weeks.
3. Social Networks
Social networks are a powerful tool to attract traffic to the site. If you use them wisely, very soon, visitors will begin to move to your site.
First, always check if it is easy to share your content. People like to share exciting messages they found on the Internet with friends and family. Don’t miss this opportunity and add sharing tools to your blog.
However, do not wait for people to share their content. You are the one who should be active and reach out to a new audience. Every time you upload new content, share it on social networking sites. This is not worth anything and can significantly increase traffic to the site.
Here are some tips to promote content on social networks:
- Visual elements. People will be more likely to click on visually attractive posts.
- Use hashtags. Hashtags help people find your message if it contains a hashtag with the topic they are interested in.
- Choose the right site. Different social networks have different target audiences. Adults mostly use Facebook, while teenagers and people over 20 years of age tend to use Instagram and Twitter. Try some sites and see which one is best for you.
4. Write Qualitative Content
Content is the heart of every site. Interesting content motivates visitors to come back again and again. Moreover, they will share such content. Isn’t it a dream?
Here are some tips on how to write great content that can attract traffic to the site:
- Explore the keywords. Your content should be built around keywords. Think of it as a topic. Therefore, select keywords that are currently relevant and have relatively high traffic. You can use Google Keyword Planner, as mentioned earlier, or Semrush for more in-depth keyword analysis.
- Create strong headlines. In search engines, people read the headlines first before going to the site. The more interesting, the better!
- Do not use long sentences and loud words. Most people browse your content, looking for specific information. Simple and straightforward is the main rule.
- Write informative content. Your content should provide answers. Avoid blank sentences for quantity.
- Use images and videos. The wall of text scares away visitors. Let your readers rest, using visual elements in the text.
In writing content, the main thing is practice. In time you will learn how to write effectively and attract traffic to the site.
5. Optimize the Site for Mobile Devices
Cell phones account for 73% of all web traffic, which fully answers why it should be optimized for mobile devices. If a visitor coming from a smartphone can’t use your site naturally, he or she will probably never come back. You will lose a considerable amount of potential traffic.
Which site is considered mobile? When a site is optimized for mobile devices, it is responsive. That is, it automatically adjusts the display depending on the size of the screen.
Thus, it is convenient for visitors to browse the site because they do not have to increase, decrease, and move their content in all directions. Test your site with a unique Google tool to see if it is mobile-friendly.
To create an adaptive site, you’ll need to either hire a professional or use responsive web themes and templates. The second option is, of course, less expensive. I always recommend WordPress because all its themes are suitable for mobile devices.
The optimized site also tends to take higher positions when searching from mobile devices. Thus, even if you create high-quality content, your site’s traffic will still be low if it is not adapted for mobile devices.
6. Audit of Outdated Content
Of course, you should always generate new content to attract new visitors. However, editing old publications is also a great way to attract traffic to the site.
Search engines frequently check sites for new content. Every time you update existing content, it’s like putting up a big sign with the phrase: “Scan me again! Search engines notice, overestimate, and change page rank based on updates.
To get faster results, update old content that already generates good traffic to the site. Likely, such pages have already taken a good SERP position, so the update will keep them relevant and increase the chance for a higher rating.
Use Google Analytics to keep track of popular content and select the most promising publications.
But do not update for updates. Strive for quality, not quantity. Below are some options for changes you can make in your articles:
- Look for misprints and fix them
- Fix broken links and add new ones.
- Add new images, infographics, or videos.
- Keep your text up to date by updating outdated information.
7. Implementation of the Partner Program
An affiliate program is a cooperation in which the owners of sites pay partners (publishers) for sending traffic to their site and for sales. Partners usually write an article about the product, convincing readers to buy it, and place a referral link.
Many companies choose this strategy because it is a cost-effective way to attract traffic to their site and increase conversion rates.
Before choosing a partner, determine your target audience. Publishers should be of interest to your customers. Let’s say your audience is teenagers. Publishers with an informal and funny communication manner will be the best choice for you. Choose wisely, and you will get maximum results.
8. Internal Linking
For some unknown reason, many site owners focus only on external links and forget about internal linking. This is wrong because both methods are equally essential to attract traffic to the site.
Google uses links (internal and external) to determine the value of the page. If a page has many links, Google will consider it important, and it will have a good rating.
So now it is clear how important internal links are. That’s why every time you create content, place internal links to relevant articles or pages on your site. Suppose the post is about how to start a business. In that case, you can insert links to articles about business ideas and business plans.
Another advantage of internal links is that they keep visitors on your site. Visitors will not look for information from your competitors if you have internal links to articles with answers to their questions.
9. Use CDN to Improve Website Speed
Google wants to provide its users with the best experience, so the speed of search is essential in search rankings. Thus, increasing the site’s speed is mandatory if you want to attract traffic to the site.
A great way to increase your site’s speed is to use a content delivery network (CDN), a group of servers worldwide.
When someone sends a search query to visit your site, the nearest server will respond by sending static content. As a result, download time will be reduced due to the small distance between visitors and servers.
Most CDN providers are paid, but you can get the service for free from Cloudflare. All you have to do is add your domain name to Cloudflare and update the name servers. You can read a simple step-by-step guide that will help you set everything up.
10. Facebook Ads
Advertising on Facebook has proved its effectiveness in attracting traffic to the site. 30% of marketers believe that Facebook is a social platform that provides maximum return on investment in digital advertising (ROI).
Leaving the average price, Facebook Ads is a cheaper alternative to search engine advertising. The average cost per click (CPC) in all industries is $1.72, and it’s up to you to decide how much to spend per day and for how long to show your ads.
The key to a successful ad on Facebook is to make sure no dollar is spent for nothing. Therefore, you need to define your goals when creating a campaign, whether it’s Recognizability, Consideration, or Conversion.
- Cognizability: reach new people and generate interest.
- Discussion: “hook up” people and get them to look for more information on the website.
- Conversion: motivate visitors to buy your products.
Then your task is to create a campaign that will attract the attention of the audience. There are a few things you have to do:
- Write a good description. It should be short, exciting, and by topic.
- Provide attractive visual elements that will make Facebook users stop and read your ad. It can be pictures, infographics, or videos.
- Update your ads after the end of the campaign. Change the picture and slightly edit the description. If you use the same ads for several months, they will lose effectiveness.
- Create an informative landing page. You only have a few seconds to keep visitors from leaving your site, so make sure the landing page is informative and useful.
Read more about how to easily set up your Facebook ads
11. Create a YouTube Channel
You must have caught a video when searching on Google. And most likely, it was a video from YouTube. Research shows that 88% of the videos ranked on the first Google SERP page were taken from YouTube. Therefore, this platform is a great way to attract traffic to the site.
To attract traffic, ask your viewers to visit your site and explain what benefits they will get.
Another simple method to attract traffic to a site often overlooked is to use the description window. Write a call to action and place your link in the description window.
12. Advertising on Instagram
Instagram is another social network, which is often used for advertising. It is best suited for those who focus on young audiences, as 77% of its users are under 35 years old.
Since this social platform belongs to Facebook, advertising on these social networks works similarly. You can choose one of three goals and use many targeting options (such as age, gender, language, country, and many others).
Combine these options by selecting the ones that best fit your brand’s purpose. Otherwise, the money will be wasted on people who are not interested.
Experiment with the content of your ad. Since Instagram is a visual platform, your campaigns must be visually appealing.
Use quotes, short informative videos, funny pictures, infographics, etc. Explore the options and create an ad that best represents your site.
13. Collaboration with Leaders of Opinions
Social networks have changed their search algorithms on the Internet. Today people often listen to bloggers and those who are experts in their field. Therefore, cooperation with such opinion leaders can attract traffic to the site.
The introduction of influential marketing is a relatively simple process. Select the opinion leaders you want to work with, contact them, and ask them to promote your products or services for a fee.
The best part about this method is that you do not need to spend a lot of money. Many opinion leaders are willing to accept your products and services as a reward for your work.
BONUS The Easiest Way Ever: With Automated Software (Setup-and-forget)
For the last 5 months, I have been testing one curious solution to attract organic traffic on my Wordpress blogs. I divided them into two categories for the sake of interest: one was connected to this system, while the others relied on the search engine bots’ grace.
A few words about this system:
- fully automated (all as I like!)
- attracts the attention of only real people
- very targeted traffic regardless of your niche (even if you write about stew breeding — you will still get the traffic).
That cloud software is super simple to use, and we’ve set it up so any newcomer can be up and running at no time. No problematic tech skills are required, and everything is covered in step-by-step video guides.
Let me show you what it looks like from the inside. Remember one of my sites in a pets niche? This one:
The numbers in the table on the right are the number of interactions with other blogs and users on a given topic. Read more and more on the official website.
And here’s what I got:
In September, there was a surge of visits and new followers, and in October, I turned off this software. As you can see, the traffic has dropped slightly but is still much higher than it used to be. So I will probably include this site again in the project.
What’s inside my Google Analytics account (still doesn’t count AMP visitors, have to fix it soon):
Okay, but what’s about demographics? Does it really matter when I selected keywords like cat, pet, dog in the software?
I’m quite happy with these results so far and going to continue this experiment. Stay tuned!
This is private software, but if you want to take a closer look, I’ll figure out how to do it for you. Just drop me a message.
Thank you for your attention!